Grapefruit Olive Oil Cake with Candied Grapefruit - Nourishing Amy
This cake is great for afternoon teas you might be planning to celebrate this month’s Platinum Jubilee!
Makes: 1 x 20cm cake, serves 10
For the cake:
• 180ml (6 fl oz) plant-based milk
• 80g (2.8 oz) coconut sugar
• 120ml (4 fl oz) freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, sieved (about 1 large Florida Grapefruit)
• 1 tbsp grapefruit zest
• 120ml (6 fl oz) olive oil
• 2 tsp vanilla essence
• 270g (9.5 oz) plain flour
• 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• ½ tsp baking powder
• 1 pinch salt
For the candied grapefruit peel:
• 2 Florida Grapefruits
• 200g (7oz) + 2 tbsp caster sugar
For the grapefruit buttercream:
• 100g (3.5 oz) vegan butter
• 250g (8.8 oz) icing sugar
• 1½ tbsp grapefruit juice
• 2 tsp grapefruit zest
• Fresh berries
1. To make the peel: using a peeler, cut the
peel from the grapefruit, leaving a small
amount of the white part attached. Chop any
large pieces in half.
2. Place the peels in a saucepan, cover with
cold water and bring to the boil. Drain the
water and repeat this process two more times.
3. Now add the peel, 200g (7oz) sugar and
120ml (6 fl oz) water to the saucepan and
bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer
and continue to cook for about 20 minutes,
stirring occasionally until the peel
4. Drain the peel (reserving the sugar syrup
in a jar) and leave to cool and dry out fully
on a wire rack for 3-4 hours, encourage the
peel to twist by curing with your fingers.
Toss in 2 tablespoon of sugar and store in an
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan)/350°F/
Gas 4 and grease and line an 8 or 9 inch loosebottomed cake tin.
6. Whisk together the plant-based milk,
coconut sugar, grapefruit juice, grapefruit
zest, olive oil and vanilla essence in a large
7. Sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and
baking powder and add the salt. Whisk to a
8. Pour into the tin, tap the tin on the surface
a couple of times to remove any air bubbles
and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden
brown. You may want to cover the cake with
foil after 25 minutes – the cake is cooked
when an inserted skewer comes out clean.
9. Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes
then remove from the tin and cool fully on
a wire rack.
10. Make the buttercream by beating the
butter until smooth and then slowly beating
in the icing sugar, grapefruit juice and
grapefruit zest until light and fluffy.
11. Spread over the cake and top with the
homemade candied grapefruit peel and extra
berries. Store in an airtight container for 3-5
days, or freeze the un-frosted cake.