Black Forest Gateau - Daniele Maupertuis
“You will find various adaptations of this cake, originated from Germany. Respecting the traditional components - cherries, cream, sponge - I introduced an exquisite chocolate mousse to enrich the balance and interest of the flavours,” says Danielle. “The kirsch liquor made from cherries will gently excite your palate. Now time for tasting!”
For the chocolate sponge:
• 150g (5.2 oz) golden caster sugar
• 130g (4.5 oz) self-raising flour
• 20g (0.7 oz) unsweetened vegan
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 50g (1.7 oz) rapeseed oil
• 150g (5.2 oz) water
For the chocolate mousse:
• 220g (7.7 oz) vegan dark chocolate
• 6 tbsp thick full fat coconut milk
• 1 ripe avocado, crushed
• 8 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
• 30g (1oz) oat cream
• 60g (2oz) reduced aquafaba
For the cherry whipped cream:
• 360g (12.6 oz) plant-based whipped cream
• 6 tsp corn syrup
• 120g (4.2 oz) agar agar mix
• 3 tsp kirsch (optional)
• 100g (3.5 oz) fresh cherries
1. Preheat the oven to 175ºC/350ºF/Gas 4.
2. In a bowl, whisk all the chocolate sponge
3. Pour the sponge mix in a pre-lined baking
tray, spread evenly (8mm thick), with a palette
knife and bake for 20 minutes.
4. Check if a toothpick inserted in the centre
comes out clean. Allow to cool down.
5. Cut 12 circles, the same size as the rings.
6. Chill the coconut milk in the fridge
overnight. The next day, open the coconut
milk tin, taking care not to shake it. After
thorough chilling, the coconut cream will
solidify and separate from the milk. Scoop out
the solid coconut cream.
7. Reduce the aquafaba: pour the water of
a chickpea can in a saucepan, gently simmer
on medium heat until it has reduced by
about 40 per cent (e.g. if the water of a
chickpea can has an average weight of 180g,
it should be reduced until around 100g). The
reduced aquafaba can be stored in the fridge
or the freezer.
8. Melt the chocolate slowly in a microwave,
15 seconds at a time (the temperature should
not exceed 45ºC). Add the cream and stir until
9. In a food processor, whizz together the
melted chocolate, the coconut milk, the
crushed avocado and the syrup. Blend
until smooth, making sure the mix doesn’t
10. Beat the reduced aquafaba until stiff
peaks. Delicately, with a spatula, fold in the
11. Make the cherry whipped cream. Prepare
the agar mix: dissolve 1 tsp agar powder in
240ml (8.1 fl oz) of water. Bring to the boil,
whisking continuously, keep it boiling for
another 20 seconds. Store in the fridge.
12. Cut the cherries into small pieces.
13. Melt the agar agar mix in the microwave.
Add the kirsch liquor and gently incorporate
into the whipped cream with a spatula.
Finally, fold in the pieces of cherries.
14. Place your rings on parchment paper. They
will be easier to transfer to a plate.
15. In the bottom of each ring, start with a
layer of chocolate sponge, then pipe about
70g (2.4 oz) of chocolate mousse on top of
the sponge. Press with a second sponge layer,
and finish with the cherry cream and flatten
with a palette knife. Transfer to the freezer for
at least half an hour.
16. Unmould the cakes. With a sharp knife
scrape some chocolate flakes from a
chocolate bar. Sprinkle over the cake. Pipe
a dot of whipped cream using a star nozzle,
10mm diameter. Dust some icing sugar and
finish with a cherry on top.